Monday, November 25, 2013

"Ghetto" Silencer

No, I didn't coin that phrase, but in the spirit of testing real life hacks, I have chosen to maintain the original nature of all the tests. I thought this life hack could be highly beneficial for students who leave their cell phones on but silence them. Silencing the ringer sounds good in the beginning, but as we all know, the vibration from the silenced phone is loud enough for all to hear. Hence the need for the ghetto silencer.


Start with an unwanted pair of headphones.


Remove the headphone jack from the cord - any auxiliary jack would also work.


Place the jack (ghetto silencer) into the headphone port on your cellphone.
According to the original life hack, inserting the jack into the headphone port should silence all ringtones and noises on your phone, without you having to silence the ringer and risk vibrations. In my test, however, the ghetto silencer only silenced two noises: incoming text messages and the sound made when typing on the phone. NO OTHER NOISES WERE SILENCED! Incoming calls, alarms, timers, and incoming mail were all perfectly audible. 

So, what I thought would be an easy way to silence a phone turned out to be a hoax. Sorry, kids. That being said, I did test this life hack on a rocking awesome iPhone 5 which is probably programmed to resist such little tricks. I may expand my test to the far inferior Android market to see if it works any better there.



2 comments:

  1. That's so awesome. I think I might try that! Thank you for the amazing idea. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats too bad it don't work to silence all noises.

    ReplyDelete