Sunday, December 8, 2013

Headlight Polish AKA Toothpaste

There are several life hacks that involve creative uses for toothpaste. I was intrigued by the the hack where toothpaste is used to polish old, sandblasted headlights. Why? My husband happens to drive a 1998 Chevy Tahoe with old, sandblasted headlights. If the toothpaste works, it could save him many dollars in new headlight covers, so let's see.


Whitening Toothpaste and a Clean Rag
On an artistic note, nice tree reflection on the car hood.

Dull Headlight Cover Pre-Treatment
Slightly Less Dull Headlight Cover Post-Treatment

Pre-Treatment Signal Light (Blinker) Cover

Post-Treatment Signal Light (Blinker) Cover
Please don't miss my reflection in the chrome of almost every picture. That was purely accidental, and if it wasn't so cold outside, I would probably redo my photos to avoid that mistake. You can draw your own conclusions, but I do think you can tell a difference before and after the toothpaste polishing on the headlight covers. Again, if it wasn't so cold, I would have polished the covers longer and with a little more elbow grease, but with the minimal effort applied, I saw an improvement right away. I don't think there was much of a difference on the signal light covers, but they were a little shinier after the polishing. Happy hacking! (My hands are still freezing!)



6 comments:

  1. Mrs.Adams it looked like it really work.It's amazing what toothpaste can do besides cleaning teeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool I'll have to tell my dad about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all your life hacks. Nice tree reflection by the way. This blog is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i guess that toothpaste really works on headlights. that pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just to say toothpaste will clean almost any metallic surface!!!! I used it to get tarnish of my flute last year, but I didn't know you could use it for this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use toothepaste to clean CDs... My brother once used mustard. I can't remember if that worked or not....

    ReplyDelete